A VISIT TO MY FRIEND'S

When I meet Mary she used to make comments about her disease, she was feeling tired, she wouldn't be able to go out, she would rather stay home and relax. When she said she had Hepatitis C, I had an idea it was some sort of very contagious disease which would damage your liver. I thought it couldn't be cured at all and also that it was a similar disease to AIDS or linked somehow. It seems I was true about the blood transmission character of the disease which makes the disease similar to HIV and AIDS but it actually happens that in most cases it can be cured now which is quite comforting, of course the sooner you know you've been infected, the better. After the virus gets into your blood it can take decades before you feel the symptoms but still if there are viruses inside your blood that means you can pass the disease into somebody else.

After four years living in the UK, this summer I decided to register with a GP, the nurse was an incredible and lovely woman and she offer to me to have some blood test done, that would include among others AIDS and Hepatitis C. At that time I thought I didn't need them, still she explained to me how I could get them done easily and free. I have start thinking it may be the time to have them done, I feel fine at the moment but still, I could be infecting others without even being aware of it.

So yes, after my first meeting with Kelvin I decided to go an make a visit to my friend Mary. Mary has just ended a successful treatment, very proud and happy, she shows me the letter she received from hospital saying she has just got rid of all these pernicious viruses. She jokes and smiles and looks very happy and healthy and beautiful! She also shows me a bag full of waste from the medicines she has been taking during her treatment. I would have loved to post a picture of them which I took, but due to the unbranded character of this project I've been advise not to do it. Anyway, just so that you can get an idea, I would say these medicines were more than all the medicines I've taken through my entire life.

Her husband comes back from work, there's also another friend from Spain, the fact of having been cured is the best reason to have some wine and keep on talking about Hepatitis C and life, and have some fun. She tells me when she meet her husband they went on a date, for lunch, to a pub, she really liked him and she thought she had to tell him about the disease before going any further. After gathering some energy she said, "Do you know what? I've got Hepatitis C". He looked at her and answer, "Do you know what? I've got a peacemaker since I was on my teens". They kissed each other and they've been together since then. They're too lovely and the way they've both dealt with their severe diseases is an inspiration to me. I was so drunk when I got home...

No comments :

Post a Comment